Thursday, July 25, 2013

SWeeT PoTAtO piEs


Southern hospitality at its SWEET-est is what I’d like to call our latest visit to Montgomery Alabama. Momma Jones or ‘Nana’ as my children like to call her decided to host a pie fundraiser and donate the proceeds to my Kenya Journey.

People in the community love Nana’s SWeeT PoTAtO piEs, so when she announced that she would sale pies on Sunday people were excited. I didn’t really understand how big of a deal these pies were, but I would soon learn.
We went to the grocery store to buy pie ingredients. While unloading the ingredients from the shopping cart the customers in front of us noticed the supplies and asked if we were making sweet potato pie? “Yes”, I replied, “they will be sold at Freewill on tomorrow in support of a Missions trip to Kenya”.  One of the women began to debate for a good minute or two (out loud) rather she should stick with or dismiss her nutritious eating habits to pre-purchase pies. She finally concluded that she was doing good and should not mess things up. I thought this was hilarious considering there were no pies in sight – we were only purchasing the ingredients.


On Sunday, 100 + pies were sold in less than 5 minutes. For the next 15 minutes I watched people enter the hall and shake their heads in disappointment as they witnessed the empty box on the table. Nana promised them that she would sale 150+ more pies on Next Sunday. I too was shocked at how quickly the pies sold. It was my intention to buy a pie following the sale - how foolish of me. My husband grew up with those pies so he made a wise choice. He purchased his right as they were coming out of the oven.

I didn’t really get to see all the 'secret' ingredients Nana added to her pies, because the pie filling was created while I was sleeping.  Not that it matters anyway! Right?  All that really matters is I am convinced ... Nana makes a good pie and I NEED to get that recipe.

Thank you Nana and Thank you Freewill Baptist for your support.

Mrs Nez

No comments: