Sunday, April 11, 2010

Strength Training


Who doesn’t like muscles that are well defined and properly maintained? Muscles are always in style and most definitely the way to go. Yeah it may take a little work to obtain, but it’s oh so worth it! As you can tell this is my most favorite aspect of fitness and exercise, resistance or weight training. To me this makes the whole workout worth it. I know you have heard of the saying ‘save the best for last’. I always save weight training until the end of my workout. Although it’s hard at times, I enjoy the way it makes me feel and look afterward. For just a few hours after training (until well trained) you appear BUFF. However, in all seriousness, weight training assists your body in burning high amounts of calories for 1-2 hours following a workout. I love it! What are your thoughts about strength training?

 
Here’s the basic prescription for a training program. Remember VARITY, VARITY is the key, don’t get stuck doing the same thing every work out. Keep in mind you need to participate in a complete workout that incorporates each of the fitness components (cardiovascular, muscle strength & endurance, & flexibility) for maximal results. You will not achieve the outcome you desire by participating in strength training alone, they all work together creating a perfect balance.

 
Muscular Strength: (using F.I.T.T)

 
Frequency: 2-4 Days/ week

 
Intensity: If you are able to have your one repetition max (1RM) measured, the amount of weight you lift could be estimated by using 40-60% of this amount. Other ways to determine the amount of weight you should lift is listed below:

 
o Weight should be adjusted as such, if you can lift more than 12 repetitions without muscle fatigue the weight is too light and should be increased 2-5lbs.

 
o If you are unable to lift the weight at least 8 times the weight is too heavy and should be decreased 2-5lbs to avoid injury.

 
Muscular Strength
  • 8-12 repetitions for 3 sets
  • Using 1-2 minutes rest periods between each set.
  • Perform 8-10 Exercises for major muscle groups (chest, back, quads, hamstrings, etc.)
  • You should reach fatigue (feeling like you can’t move the weight again) towards the end of each set.

 
Time: 2-3 Days/week

 
Type: Create workouts using body weight, resistance bands, machine weights, or free weights.

 
TO PREVENT INJURY A COMPLETE WORKOUT SHOULD NOT EXCEED 45 MINUTES TO 1 HOUR.

 
FOR IN HIM (the all powerful God) WE LIVE, MOVE, AND HAVE OUR BEING (Acts 17:28 NJK).

 
BWEA

 

 

 

2 comments:

HYPE Ministry said...

Sometimes it's kind of hard to get out that old strength training routine that I learned in high school! I remember hearing a coach I worked with say, "why should we bench press when that's not a normal position that we are in daily?" For example, when we are doing our everyday work, how often are we on our back pushing weight up? I thought that was a good point! So that's why even in some college weight rooms you see the hammer strength equipments.. the machines are more of standing and pushing or pulling.. somewhat of a natural motion. I have tried to change up a little bit to more dumbells and pull-ups, more body weight exercise. Occasionally, I go back to my high school workout. It's boring sometimes but I've learned to superset them--add an extra routine with the bench press like dumbbell rows. I'm still learning to adjust as I get older! Ha! I can't believe I said that! I guess there's some things we can't slow down!

Leslie Maddox said...

I recently started working with a physical trainer to try to lose baby weight. I like having someone tell me what to do for how long. And it's interesting to see the different types of strength training exercises he has me do, besides using the machines. And it's making a difference!