Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tasty Treats


Growing up one of my most favorite treats was taking a lollipop and dipping it in kool-aid drink mix. This was like the best thing to me! The kool-aid gave my lollipop more zing and turned my mouth bright reds, purples, & oranges. Well eventually my mom figured out that it was not the lollipops turning my mouth these colors and she demanded that I stop eating the drink mix. She would say things like, "you don’t know what that stuff is doing to your body, especially all of the dyes; Plus too much sugar is not good for you".

Well fast forward some twenty years after spending my college years studying Exercise Science & Nutrition. Where you witness the consumption of sugar based products in large amounts like my favorite treat as empty or wasted calories.  These are calories that provide no nutritional value to the body and when consumed in large amounts, becomes a hindrance to one's physical performance and function.

As destructive as I know treats like this to be, I found myself eating a similar treat left over from the kids' Easter baskets ‘Fun Dip’! Yeah I know- it’s no different than the kool-aid mix right? My thinking exactly! Which is why, my taste memory (if there is such a thing) began to bring back to my remembrance the flavors of the kool-aid to the point that when I saw the mixture, I had to put a lollipop in it … And Boy Was It Good! Just as I remembered, tangy, sour, sweet, and oh so flavorful. See chocolate, doughnuts, cake, cookies, and ice cream treats are not my thing, but things like skittles, starburst, and this tangy treat is what I have a liking for.
For weeks I became consumed with my treat, choosing to forget about the effects it was having on my now much older body. Only this time my mother was not here to tell me how bad indulging in this treat was for me. I didn't have any more excuses for what I was doing. I was no longer ignorant to what my 5 min of pleasure was doing to my body. What did I do next? I allowed my convictions lead me to the understanding that my treat would only result in destroying the one thing I possess and have taken ownership of -ME. The ME that was created good from the beginning.
Whether old or new destructive habits when not in alignment with good or the promotion of life results in our destruction. We have to believe that God wants to rescue and save us from our poor habits. Christ is our deliverer and at our daily request He desires to separate us from and cause us to recognize our own destructive lifestyles habits and poor choices. Your poor habits may not resemble mine in any way, but if your choices are not promoting a well life it will result in destruction for the Natural and Spiritual man.
Ephesians 5:25 - Christ is the Savior of the body (NKJ).

2 Corth 1:10 – [for it is He] who rescued and saved us from such a perilous death, and He will STILL rescue and save us (AMP).

I choose life today! What about you?

Mrs. Nez

No comments: