Thursday, November 22, 2012

Celebrations and Feasts


Has anyone read ‘The Blue Zones’ by Dan Buettner? It provides a glimpse into the lives of people, cultures, and communities that live the longest. One of the chapters reviewed a culture from the Japanese Island of Okinawa where its people lived long healthy lives and experienced little disease. The Okinawa people contributed their health and longevity to the phrase – “I Kigai and Moai”.  Kigai means that which make one’s life worth living and Moai means one has a special support network.

Have you ever experienced 'life worth living' moments? Like the Okinawa people I find I experience them most when surrounded by family and friends celebrating, feasting, and enjoying the blessings of life together. I was reminded just how much I enjoy these types of gatherings this summer as I celebrated the July 4th Holiday with my extended family. Each moment allowed me to reunite with loved ones, meet new additions (cousins), and share laughs about situations that were once worth crying about.  For me these are the moments that make living exciting.

I come from a very large family, and as a young girl I enjoyed more than anything our holiday gatherings. They were an escape from the norms of everyday living. Try to hear me out on this one - normal was good, but more was better. More people, more laughs, more hugs, more encouragement, and oh my goodness more food (take a look at    pics). Not just any ole food either. These feast provided the best of both worlds - the best recipes from everyone’s kitchen, plus the love, support, and brute honesty that only come from family. Large family celebrations only came around a few times a year, but they were and are the moments that makes life worth living.

Celebrations provide an excuse to over-indulge - eat so much you have to unbuckle your belt or put on stretchy pants :) hahaha. We all know how easy it is to overeat and many of us do it while hoping our bodies do not respond (weight gain) to what we have done.  A celebration/feast is a special occasion and it demands we APPROACH EATING FROM A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE. What do I mean? During celebrations we may eat foods that don't necessarily provide the body with essential nutrients, but taste good.  The occasion should allow us a certain freedom apart from that of normal eating. In the “Proper Eating” post (www.bwela.blogspot.com/2012/06/normal-eating.html)
I discuss the importance of recognizing the various times and occasions for eating.  We only need to be careful to not allow celebration habits turn into everyday behaviors. 

Do you ever find yourself abusing the freedom to indulge by doing it everyday?
What about using any and every occasion as an opportunity to over eat? 

It is estimated that over the course of 6 years the average person will consume about 70,000 meals. That's a lot of eating!  Now imagine you decide 68,000 of those meals would be normal and 2000 of those meals are reserved for feast and celebrations. A decision like this would eliminate much of the worry we place on ourselves about the food we eat and the amount of weight gain associated with over eating. 

As I celebrate my Thanksgiving Holiday I will enjoy the moments spent with family and friends over a big festive meal. I will take pleasure in what I eat, but more than that I will give thanks and show my appreciation for those I share my holiday meal. Enjoy your moments of  "I Kigai and Moai" - moments that make life worth living. 

Giving Thanks for you (your LIFE, your health, and your Well-Being)
Happy Thanksgiving

Living Moment Well

Mrs Nez


No comments: